OverviewUX ProcessTakeaways

DIY

Augmented Reality User Experience

Project Overview

Purpose

The brief in this university course was to design, prototype and build a data-focussed AR app that solves a problem.

Objectives

Brainstorm: Find and define a problem that can be solved with an AR App
Domain exploration: research the design domain (AR, HoloLens, Unity) and determine a feasible product
Design the app: Sketch ideas, create a storyboard of how the app would look to a user
Build the App: Develop the app in Unity in C#.

Approach

How you accomplished, steps taken

Duration

3 Months. July - October 2017

Members

Four. UX Designer and leader (me), Project Documenter, Database Designer, Developer

My Role

As the UX Designer I came up with the problem and wrote the problem definition, sketched initial ideas and brought them to the team for feedback, designed views in PowerPoint with animation indicating screen placement, designed UI elements in photoshop, and built final UI elements in Unity.

We each worked on things outside our domain as we wanted to pick up extra skills. Thus I also documented meetings and wrote about UX in the report, helped design the database via Enitiy Relationship Diagrams, and built design elements in Unity

Links

PowerPoint PrototypeDesign Guide

Problem Description

Manuals used by people both at the workplace and at home should aim to help the user build the desired items efficiently and effectively. The process should be time-optimized for workplace users, but also straight-forward enough for at-home users.

However, the current manual reading process requires users to refer to a physical reference when building items, which may be a device such as a mobile phone or a paper manual or book. Each of these solutions require at least one hand free to navigate the manual, which takes up unnecessary time from the user and makes the process longer than it needs to be. Though not as much of a financial burden for at-home, leisurely users, this wasted time translates to a financial burden for manufacturing companies.

The current process also doesn't allow users to completely visualize the product they are building. This is a problem for commercial users as it would be more beneficial to visualise their product better, but it is more of a problem for at-home users. This is because, unlike most commercial users, they may have never built the product before and may not have a basic understanding of how the end product should look.

Final Product

This a snapshot of the Unity app running through HoloLens. The lines in the background are from the spatial mapping - the user wearing the holocene doesn't see this - they see the real environment with the screen in front.

UX Process

Research

paper reviews, competitive analysis, interviews, contextual inquiries, surveys etc

Ideation

brainstorming, diverging and converging on ideas, customer journey, persona etc

Wireframes

ideas, sketches, brainstorming, what worked and what didn’t, testing results, iterations

Design

Here are the design guidelines I made for the team so they knew what fonts and colors to use when building UI elements.

Prototype

Takeaways

Challenges

Include constraints/obstacles during the project (or have it down somewhere in your notes) — useful when doing interviews. What went well, what didn’t and how you overcame those situations as a team/individual

No one in the team had designed for AR before. This was a challenge because we needed to quickly learn how to design for the AR environment. We did this by firstly using HoloLens in class and playing around with AR apps and getting used to the gestures.

None of us had built in Unity before, either. So we completed tutorials.

Accomplishments

The lecturer for this class said our interface design was the best one in the class and told me I was the best designer in the class. They commended me on my eye for design.

Also, I believe going from four students who had never used an AR app before, to designing and building one in one three months was a great accomplishment.

Conclusion

From this project I learnt how to design the user experience of a system I had never used before. I placed myself in the shoes of the user and solved the problem within the constraints of the AR domain.

I acted as the team lead in many situations and built

With thanks to Pixel Buddha for providing the heading icons.